I've been meaning to write a review about this movie for eons but in the midst of the angst of heartbreak and life confusion I couldn't because a lot of the themes paralleled what I was feeling at that point in time and everything else that I anticipated feeling. I guess the storm has passed so for now I can relive the emotions a bit more objectively.
So it opens innocently enough, a train, foggy memories. A thriller. Now I'm not one for thrillers as a genre but hell this was a good one. A murder case, unresolved. Love, unrequited. Not the annoying bullshit Hollywood take on love, but real..passion. God the Argentinians are good at that.
Sometimes things happen that freeze time, that lock a person 25 years in their past in one moment where a connection gets cut off. Viciously. That's how I describe it if anyone asks me about this movie. It's about living a life stuck at one point in time, a case so unresolved that it becomes a black hole which consumes everyone and everything in its vicinity. Reliving a nightmare everyday of your life until it becomes a life not worth living anymore.
I'll remember grasping your hand, ducking my head in horror. I'll remember the animated discussion after, about life, love, memories. And I'll remember how reinforcing certain life lessons were. I haven't felt so strongly about a movie probably since 500 days of Summer, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or Lord of the Rings. The few rare ones that strike at the core of life and its lessons.

No comments:
Post a Comment