I picked up the book by Lisa See after stumbling across some tumblr pictures of Li Bing Bing and Gianna Jun in the movie remake (accompanied by sweeping orchestral music and the guy with that voice who does the normal trailer intros of any dramatic movie on life and emotions)
After a bit of googling, I honestly thought that google had got it wrong because Lisa See was a redhead Irish looking lass, but turns out she's 1/8 chinese and identifies strongly with being Asian. Even though she looks nothing like it.
Now the curious thing about this is that I'm immediately dismissive of her, in the sense of (dude she's white what does she know about being Asian?!) and maybe that's where it gets a little interesting. Does one have to look Asian in order to take on the mantle of being Asian? I mean to be fair we all communicate better in english then anything else-we being the social circle I'm a part of-, and as the controversy of defining what it means to be Malaysian continues, I don't think there's ever a time that skin colour and ethnicity come to the forefront of identity as much as it has and will continue to. Because frankly, we ARE different, but what we do with this difference is probably of more importance than just stating the fact so.
That being said, I want mixed kids =P.
No comments:
Post a Comment