Monday, February 1, 2010

Strangers

Strangers in the night
Exchanging glances
Wondering in the night
What were the chances
~Sinatra

Funny how we meet the people in our lives. Random chance encounters at locations. Just because we decided to go. What if we hadn't? What if that exact point in time had never happened? What if indeed. I marvel sometimes about how once we get past the niceties of figuring out where one person is from and getting a sense of "what" they are, you move into the deeper levels, to the "who". Beyond what is presented, and you judge them with something innate within yourself. Human beings are complex creatures.


Waiting for the day my dance moves warrant me good enough to splurge on a pair of 3 inch proper tango shoes. I have to earn it.

Its so hard learning things for the first time. When all you want to do is to be able to ace a move, or to just KNOW how to do it. Boleos are kicking my ass. Literally. Looking at the older people do the moves, you wonder how long it takes to develop the same level of skill. Does it really take time? Why can't I be the exceptional one who just picks it up instantly?

I was thinking about it in terms of Piano. If I had know it would have taken 6 years of practice and hard work to get to the level that I eventually got to I would have probably refused to continue playing. Even then, ABRSM exams weren't anything much, only 3 songs practiced for a whole friggin year. Looking back I realize how ridiculous that really is now, just because I probably have NO repertoire whatsoever. It's hard forcing something on someone when they have absolutely no interest in it. On the contrary hating practice!

Its also frustrating looking at where you really really REALLY want to be at, but knowing it'll take time to get there. First I have to expand my tango vocab then only can I really refine it...sigh. Should have found it sooner. Tango is soul sucking in the best of ways.

Taking the workshops yesterday was pretty good, steps were basic but Brigitta, Christopher and Caroline introduced an idea that hasn't really been emphasized in bootcamp Mtango. It's about musicality. It's about refining the beats and connecting to the music as a unit. It's x number of people in y area and if the connections ain't there, its gna be messy collisions! Between navigating the crowd to finding some sort of connection with your partner, it's harder than anything else you'll ever find yourself doing.

Question about Musicality though, as a follower especially in the beginning stages, I find myself wondering how I can ever have musicality of my own if all I'm expected to do is follow the little twitches and intent of a leader. I guess that is what separates the followers from the Dancers. Milongas still make me nervous. When there are moments of pauses where I expect the leader is expecting me to do some embellishments or funky moves I haven't learnt, I get seriously flustered and wonder whether it's me who is subpar, or them for not realizing I can't do what they want me to do!

Another little detail I remember was Caroline saying, TRUST! when I was holding back for the step. So true. But that is probably the basis of this dance. trusting someone else to not trip you, ram you into another couple or let you fall.

I did have a connection with one of the leaders in Practica which was amazing. I've never been quite that comfortable dancing close embrace and attempting moves I've never learnt before. Sigh. I need more!

Shopping craves
-Cute warm weather dresses
-Tango shoes
-Nars blush in Orgasm

No comments:

Post a Comment