Friday, October 2, 2009

万物生

Art has never really caught my fancy as being something that I'm highly interested in. This probably stems from the fact that I cannot see myself even attempting to recreate or even knowing how to go about recreating some of the art work that is so astonishingly complex. Layers upon layers of paint, meticulously unfolding to make a 2d piece come alive, to make you forget that what you are staring at is a flat piece of paper. Transporting you to far away lands, places, contexts so far removed from the point at which you are staring at a glass case in a museum which contains it.

Art bring you back to eras that are long gone. I was staring at a pot that was 4000 years old. Freaking heck. Sometimes I wonder where they dig these things from. Especially ceremonial burial figurines. Maybe we shouldn't know.

So I stood in front of a painting analyzing every single brush stroke for about 40 minutes today. Taking in the sensory perceptions, colours, purpose, intent, meaning, patterns. All for 10% of my grade paper. But writing 4-5 pages probably isn't going to be as easy as I think it is going to be. I tend to focus on purpose a bit more than this paper would like. I want to feel the emotions of that little figure holding the water bucket in the small corner, the one who is expressionless, featureless. I want to figure out why red was used to paint in the balustrades, a colour so clashing and out of place among the waterwashed duck blues and greys that are used to express the leaves on the trees. I want to figure out that upside down mountain in the right upper corner that I think would support my theory that I'm staring at a vast lake surrounding the painting. And I forget all I'm staring at is ink on paper. How do you turn the visual into word? Just as hard as turning words into visuals I suspect.

It brought me back to Huangshan, what it felt like standing on what must have been the top of the world. 天都顶. Crossing a narrow bridge like area which was the apex of the mountain. Mist surrounding either side blocking the view of the plummet that would come if vertigo had take over. For someone who's terrified of heights it was a major achievement.

Going to start the paper tonight. For 10% of a 3credit writing class, it might be nothing, but it's probably the most enjoyable subject I'm doing this sem. I'm so doing a dance class nxt. Unfortunately nothing involving a pole.

On that note. Happy Birthday China.

PS: Wishlist item 2983840=Dua bespoke boots

No comments:

Post a Comment