π, 3.14, πr^2, 2r=d
Earliest memory of pi came about at the age of 11 on a 'parents' in school day where Ms Fell stood up at the board and asked something about pi, and pa answered the question. The memory is hazy, much like the dream that managed to slip through my fingers this morning as I woke up for bootcamp, however this was probably my very first encounter of pi. Havn't touched it for years, other than the book of course.
Movie was fascinating, I didn't think anyone would be able to translate a book with such an abstract premise into a movie, however, Ang Lee managed to do a great job of it. Visuals were absolutely beautiful and this is the first movie that has managed to make me feel seasick. Even a normal boat can't do that!
Having re-read the book this year, I was struck by how well the first part would translate into a whimsical 'Amelie' style movie and I wasn't proven wrong with french swimming pools and animals prancing on and off screen in highly cinematic visuals. What I definitely didn't expect was the engagement that would come with the survival style occurrences in the second act with Richard Parker facing off Pi moments.
Kudos to whoever casted Piscine Molitor Patel. Stroke of genius that.
The Perks of being a Wallflower was a movie that I've been on the lookout for in the DVD store recently, however I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually showing in GSC this time around seeing its limited release even in the US.
The movie falls along the similar feel of "500 days" or "Donnie Darko" or actually much like "Garden State"... or any of those American teenage movie posters that Nicole felt apt to put up in our 11x12 foot room as a fair representation of her personality. I read a review that summed it up nicely in a line-paraphrased-: "it reminds you of the little things that you no longer remember, or want to remember, but remains so much a part of you."
I think looking back at it and questioning the acting, the themes a little, makes me feel callous in forgetting how true life feels when you're a teenager. When you're faced with sad moments that magnify itself to proportions beyond your control, just because you have yet to learn how to let go. It's these experiences that shape us and sometime we get stuck in moments. Hell, I still do.
This movie reminded me how things adults used to dismiss as 'unimportant' are actually really that important. And how advice like "you'll get over this" ring true 2 years after the fact, but in the moment you think you'll never get out of it.
Gerben. Your Smiths will forever haunt me with Morissey's voice. Maybe freshmen english really was my induction into the 'America High School experience 101.'
Earliest memory of pi came about at the age of 11 on a 'parents' in school day where Ms Fell stood up at the board and asked something about pi, and pa answered the question. The memory is hazy, much like the dream that managed to slip through my fingers this morning as I woke up for bootcamp, however this was probably my very first encounter of pi. Havn't touched it for years, other than the book of course.
Movie was fascinating, I didn't think anyone would be able to translate a book with such an abstract premise into a movie, however, Ang Lee managed to do a great job of it. Visuals were absolutely beautiful and this is the first movie that has managed to make me feel seasick. Even a normal boat can't do that!
Having re-read the book this year, I was struck by how well the first part would translate into a whimsical 'Amelie' style movie and I wasn't proven wrong with french swimming pools and animals prancing on and off screen in highly cinematic visuals. What I definitely didn't expect was the engagement that would come with the survival style occurrences in the second act with Richard Parker facing off Pi moments.
Kudos to whoever casted Piscine Molitor Patel. Stroke of genius that.
The Perks of being a Wallflower was a movie that I've been on the lookout for in the DVD store recently, however I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually showing in GSC this time around seeing its limited release even in the US.
The movie falls along the similar feel of "500 days" or "Donnie Darko" or actually much like "Garden State"... or any of those American teenage movie posters that Nicole felt apt to put up in our 11x12 foot room as a fair representation of her personality. I read a review that summed it up nicely in a line-paraphrased-: "it reminds you of the little things that you no longer remember, or want to remember, but remains so much a part of you."
I think looking back at it and questioning the acting, the themes a little, makes me feel callous in forgetting how true life feels when you're a teenager. When you're faced with sad moments that magnify itself to proportions beyond your control, just because you have yet to learn how to let go. It's these experiences that shape us and sometime we get stuck in moments. Hell, I still do.
This movie reminded me how things adults used to dismiss as 'unimportant' are actually really that important. And how advice like "you'll get over this" ring true 2 years after the fact, but in the moment you think you'll never get out of it.
Gerben. Your Smiths will forever haunt me with Morissey's voice. Maybe freshmen english really was my induction into the 'America High School experience 101.'
No comments:
Post a Comment