Sunday, June 3, 2012

Opulance

The beautiful things in life enthrall us all do they not? But with constructed beauty also comes a recognition that there is a $ sign behind every object that's presented in the pages of a magazine.

Sitting in The Bee yesterday with my absolutely gorgeous boozy milkshake and waiting for friends to come, I was thumbing through the magazine before stumbling upon coverage on Chanel's Metiers D'Art show which took place in Paris with a "Bombay" theme. Which involved lots of kohl and some Indian models thrown in the mix obviously. Oh, and Karl has never gone to India. Duh. He would die the instant he steps into that place.

That's where I started contemplating about how sometimes we are often disillusioned by the romanticism of a place. This means the constant references to obscure locations, "Oh have you tried Ku De Ta in Bali?" or "Have you never been to Paris? Milan? Barcelona? You should! It's beautiful."

Often I then find myself in these places, these mythical "Shangrila's" of the world and fairly, it's gorgeous, but after a while seems disappointing-Niagara Falls..seriously..you're water going over an edge-.

What I do remember are scenes like, sitting in the Highline writing an epic diary entry. Waiting by the sidelines of my first Milonga. Reading in Sweetwaters. Making epic treks from AA to NYC on a bus with chinese people who do not speak mandarin. Searching the streets for the original Magnolia Bakery. These are the stories I pull out that touched me in some way, because the convergence of purpose and emotion. Concoctions of life. Like those boozy milkshakes. So perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment