Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mad Men

Latest addiction of mine has to be this gorgeous TV series that provides so much food for thought across various aspects of intellectual curiosity-gender roles, fashion, norms, paradigms, historical events, wars, racial divides, workplace, family dynamics-

Maybe a throwback to perceptions of what the 60's were like from a glossy fictional standpoint. If anything, every decade can be distilled into key bullet points that when brought up, immediate identify exactly where in time the reference is to. I've often pondered whether each decade believes itself as cutting edge, and is shortly proven wrong in a few years. Case example: FB in recent years evolving with me during college times.

Anyway, mad men really is a rehash of a bygone era, curves and all especially addressing the roles of women and expectation of the era-the housewife, career girl and utterly delicious Christina Hendricks as the completely and utterly feminine WOMAN, who somehow manages to balance the divide between being in control and being female with all its connotations, shortfalls and advantages.

It's intriguing, because the one person that I would have thought I identify least with would actually be Joanie's character, especially in the earlier part where she's sleeping around with Sterling and I dismissed her as another airhead bitch. But she acts entirely like a man in her treatment of her very useless husband and is subservient to a point that isn't petulant like Betty, or awkwardly unfitting in a man's world like Peggy. Surprisingly it takes someone who on the outset seems to embody the feminine ideal to act like the one with the most balls of them all.

Somehow the series seems to indicate that things havn't changed too much, that issues we still grapple with are still around-that cars don't fly and NYC is still a very coveted place to work and live in. Ah, life. Thing is, if someone were to look back at GG as an embodiment of the end-of-21st-century-first-decade time, I would cringe because it is entirely superficial and quite ridiculous, yet at the same time, quite an accurate parody of current times in some aspects.

God I love this series. And Don is still a cad, and a very hot one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment