Monday, August 8, 2011

So why?

Sitting in a booth at Shivz, one of the waiters asked me what I liked about Tango with quite a mystified look on his face as I was waiting for Ogie to finish his first class. I didn't know how to enunciate the way that this dance made me feel, or why it drew me in, thinking about it myself, it's still hard to really put into words, 'why tango?'

Maybe I'd have to bring him back to September 2009 where a very harried me was running from Sushi dinner at Miki's, to the Union Ballroom on a end-of-summer weather night in Ann Arbor, post swimming. Entering the vast ballroom with flipflops and being asked to walk backward isn't really a good combo for Tango.

Or then the next week, learning about Ochos for the very first time in the cafe on the ground floor of the Union and meeting Phillip.

Or continuous lessons in 3rd floor Mason hall with the wonderful people from Mtango.

Or first milongas in Novembers with bubble tea at hand and darkened Vitosh Guest House.

Or Fire&Ice noobs and practicas and milongas where all one could do is stare in astonishment at the talent on show.

Or Triangulo on a May night in NYC with old New Yorkers with stories to tell.

Or last milongas at the Phoenix Center post Indian makans and giggles.

Or flying back to the root of it all 11 months post graduation, back to where it all began, back to Tango with the old guards.

All the leaders who have taught me so much, and the followers who are there for gossip, entertainment, makans.

How do I sum that all up to him? All I said was, it was a great dance =). That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment