Having run around for the past 2 years for projects where about half the time has been spent in countries other than Malaysia, I do sometimes feel a bit in a transient mood, non-committal, non-binding and hell, not responsible for certain aspects of my own life.
Slowly but surely though, getting back into the groove of being back home and realising that no matter where in this world I go, I try to establish a few basics - the feel of "home", the feel of that comforting lazy weekend waking up to activities like gym, friends, brunch and dance. That is what I try and replicate in every city I've had to work in so far.
Also being involved in activities happening. I feel that the pull of certain countries happens because I am almost a different persona in those countries. As though the transient nature of being there makes me want to participate more in the activities which are more "tailored" to foreigners. No doubt, a lot of the more hipster-ish movement happening in KL seems to be crafted more to an international middle class of coffee drinking, brunch eating, hipster, organic buying yuppies. But I do feel, Malaysia does it its own way, it incorporate things like supporting local brands, local artists, local shophouses, I think the difference is that, we have a history that we can lean on, that we can showcase, but in a newer manner.
And yes, it plugs us into a global network of what is "cool".
Anyway back to the workout groove and yet again the endorphins are helping the wheels to turn, the ideas to form and the discussions to happen. It's been a while since I've felt this gung ho about something and as always it comes in the maelstrom of work, passion and self evaluation that is happening.
Life, always fun to live it!
Slowly but surely though, getting back into the groove of being back home and realising that no matter where in this world I go, I try to establish a few basics - the feel of "home", the feel of that comforting lazy weekend waking up to activities like gym, friends, brunch and dance. That is what I try and replicate in every city I've had to work in so far.
Also being involved in activities happening. I feel that the pull of certain countries happens because I am almost a different persona in those countries. As though the transient nature of being there makes me want to participate more in the activities which are more "tailored" to foreigners. No doubt, a lot of the more hipster-ish movement happening in KL seems to be crafted more to an international middle class of coffee drinking, brunch eating, hipster, organic buying yuppies. But I do feel, Malaysia does it its own way, it incorporate things like supporting local brands, local artists, local shophouses, I think the difference is that, we have a history that we can lean on, that we can showcase, but in a newer manner.
And yes, it plugs us into a global network of what is "cool".
Anyway back to the workout groove and yet again the endorphins are helping the wheels to turn, the ideas to form and the discussions to happen. It's been a while since I've felt this gung ho about something and as always it comes in the maelstrom of work, passion and self evaluation that is happening.
Life, always fun to live it!
No comments:
Post a Comment