I am super determined to make 2014 a year where I learn new things. Beyond the yes's that defined 2012 and a 2013 that got complete derailed and off course, 2014 is goal achieving year.
For a start, I want to rediscover the passion and curiosity that I went to Michigan with. I want that defining moment where you face a new path, a new story and are determined to do things differently, to meet new people, to change yourself almost. Yet still remaining the same at the core.
Why is it that the older we get the more we become stubborn, lazy and habit forming? Why do people lose the innate curiosity and imagination that we once had when we were 5 or 6 or 7 or 8? Or until the age that exams bogged us down and cramming useless facts and being distracted by guys suddenly drove all creativity and interest out the window until the only thing that was cool left, was to not care.
I find the older we get, because we think we know it all, because we think we have ALL the tools in the world do we approach things so wearily as though we've done them before and anything that distracts from the evil-ness that is Candy Crush or Youtube or Facebook or TV is not worth our time. Look, measure what you do and tell me that a fair percentage of it is NOT spent staring at a screen of some sort. It's sickening after a while.
Then there's the people who go, 'wah lau, how are you so active'...errr, are you changing the world by staying at home? I don't think so. Go DO something with your life goddamnit.
What's functional then? Other than the physical and social activities that I've been absorbed in, my functional goals for 2014 are:
1) To learn how to code
2) To learn how to build financial models with full bells and whistles
Let's see where this goes. Enough random crap on fb!
For a start, I want to rediscover the passion and curiosity that I went to Michigan with. I want that defining moment where you face a new path, a new story and are determined to do things differently, to meet new people, to change yourself almost. Yet still remaining the same at the core.
Why is it that the older we get the more we become stubborn, lazy and habit forming? Why do people lose the innate curiosity and imagination that we once had when we were 5 or 6 or 7 or 8? Or until the age that exams bogged us down and cramming useless facts and being distracted by guys suddenly drove all creativity and interest out the window until the only thing that was cool left, was to not care.
I find the older we get, because we think we know it all, because we think we have ALL the tools in the world do we approach things so wearily as though we've done them before and anything that distracts from the evil-ness that is Candy Crush or Youtube or Facebook or TV is not worth our time. Look, measure what you do and tell me that a fair percentage of it is NOT spent staring at a screen of some sort. It's sickening after a while.
Then there's the people who go, 'wah lau, how are you so active'...errr, are you changing the world by staying at home? I don't think so. Go DO something with your life goddamnit.
What's functional then? Other than the physical and social activities that I've been absorbed in, my functional goals for 2014 are:
1) To learn how to code
2) To learn how to build financial models with full bells and whistles
Let's see where this goes. Enough random crap on fb!
No comments:
Post a Comment