Saturday, July 6, 2013

Grief

Death is a curious thing. It comes swift, relentless and we spend our whole life trying to avoid it for ourselves and everyone else around us. Yet when it come, we are inundated with terms of 'it was meant to be', 'no one can escape death', 'at least he is in a better place'. We conduct rituals and plans in accordance to what was done before. We receive condolences of sorries from friends and relations we hardly exchange 2 words to in years or decades. We remind ourselves that life is short then continue anyway in whatever we were doing. Hypocrites. All of it.

This pain and grief, nothing is like it, but much as we hurt more from a splinter than a chopped off finger does it also reflect upon this pain. When you get a taste of death you do the opposite, you become stronger. This pain has no emergency room that can deal with it. It is in you and only you can and will conquer it. Nothing anyone says or does makes you any the more prepared to face it.

What I've learnt is this, leave no stone unturned, make no enemies that you would unwish upon your deathbed. Because when the person is gone there is nothing in this world that will allow you to hear their voice, listen to their opinions or share their laughter again. Maybe in the dreams which are a manifestation of your innermost thoughts anyway, but no God or Buddha or Allah can bring anyone back.

Grief is personal. Entirely yours and yours alone, in the same way as love is. Feel it, immerse in it, then get the heck out of there while you can.

Pa, you taught me everything I need to know in this world to survive. Daddy's girl to the last, I take your traits of stubbornness and argumentativeness, but I also take your traits of justice, honour and unwavering commitment to your family and your friends. Thank you for everything you did for me, providing shelter, a good education and happy memories for me. I will miss your words of wisdom and opinions as I continue on in this life and you will forever hold a piece of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment