In reference to a cartoon that someone had posted on facebook, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth seeing how 2 weeks later the judgement call was made against my own dressing. =.=
From my viewpoint, it seems as though both points end up running into the same conclusions, that on both ends, societies role dictates the choices that they make.Maybe because history is so skewed to a pro-western stance across all facets of life that defines our general experiences, so that we inherently side the bikini wearing woman because that is the norm we are moving to in general. But I think the argument that society is responsible for the burqa wearing, and not the bikini wearing is wrong. Both are choices that one makes, but dictated within the larger cultural boundaries that occur.
To us religion has started to become a lesser shaper of general life. If you are non-religious, it doesn't matter, no one will really care (although saying that Malaysia is probably one of the worst ones, where race=religion!). In that way, since burqa-wearing is to some degree a function that occurs because of religion, so do we dismiss it as being a worser outcome. We equate burqa with oppressive religion, while we equate bikinis with free society, yet religion is a function of society anyway, therefore burqa=society norms=bikini
Who is to say what is right? Maybe we should just accept things as they are. But when it happens to you, there really is nothing that can erase that indignant feeling of 'it's my body, I'll do what I want with it'. To be told that I should not be showing my legs shows absolutely no respect for me as a person, but who am I to say anything in a country so dominated by 'muslim-isms'. Maybe I'm the disrespectful one? But it was more the fact that she made a judgement call on 'short'. Aye, there's the bloody rub innit.
This also links back nicely to the concept of rape and how some girls are 'asking' for it. There is absolutely no such thing as that. It is also with irony that a religion that expounds control and restraint also requires their women to cover up so as to not 'tempt' the senses. Where is your religion when rape is happening? Where is that restraint you've been honing every day, 5 times a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year?
I often try and keep an open mind but with issues like this I cannot help but rant.
No comments:
Post a Comment